Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Haircuts, Comforters, Butterflies, and A Nice Treat

Oh, is it only Tuesday? Really? Can't it be Thursday? Or better yet Friday? I guess I'll just have to be patient. I can't believe it's only Tuesday.

Saturday I was trying to save me and my grad-student husband a few dollars by getting my hair cut at a "discount/thrift" hair place. We are talking the walk in, wait, and get whoever is next, kind. Though I was nervous I convinced myself it would be fine, and that I would be saving us a few dollars. Well, I learned not to do that again. I asked for 1/4 of an inch off and got about 3. I asked her to shape up my layers, and I got LOTS more layers. I asked for a bang trim, and lets just say I got much more than a trim. By that point I was not going to pay an extra $5 to have them blow dry it. I came home completlely upset and soaking wet. My sweet husband tried to tell me he "didn't see a difference". Oh, he saw a difference after it was blow dryed. It's not the end of the world, and thank goodness I didn't dye it! Now I just have to let it grow, sigh.

Sunday I got called to be the 2nd counselor in the Primary president. I guess I'm just bound a determined to be with children 6 out of the 7 days of the week. I'm excited for the new calling, but sad that I won't be able to go to Sunday School with Tay anymore. He has become quite the church history enthusiast (which has made Sunday School very fun!)

Yesterday I decided to wash our comforter. Tay had washed it in the washing machine a couple of weeks before, and it was just fine. But of course when I do it....the washing machine EATS our comforter. It started making the most horrendous noise. I pulled it out and lets just say it was shredded not to mention SOAKING and full of soap. We quickly put it into the tub to rinse it. By this time it was past bedtime, and I didnt' know what to do with it. We just left it in the tub. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it (which means I'm assessing my sewing skills. Jenni, no comment!)

Today, well today was a rough day at school. The morning was rough, so I knew the afternoon was going to be rough too. One exciting thing: a few weeks ago my students found caterpillars, so we put them in a jar. I came to school after the weekend to find them both in their chrysalis. Today one hatched (is that the right word?) into a beautiful monarch butterfly. My kids were SO excited, which made getting our work done tricky. I'm hoping it was just the excitement of the butterflies which made them so crazy/cranky today.

But, alas, today one of the moms in my class came in carrying about 7 bags of groceries. Snacks for my little ones. Not only did she bring snacks for them...she brought me chips and salsa and a 24 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. Oh, what a gem. What a nice treat on a hard day! I had never gotten a "school" gift like that. Wow.

My mom is coming on Friday...if we make it.

3 comments:

Kelsey Kamauu said...

oh man - sorry about the bad haircut deal...not so fun - but BUTTERFLIES!! how exciting - and then snacks for your class and for YOU!! Wow - she is a keeper...love those awesome mommies! - speaking of - have fun with your own mom!

Sitton said...

A 24 pack of your favorite drink and your favorite snack! That is something you don't get everyday (or ever at Geneva:). I have had a bad experience with the whole cheap haircut place...you think "seriously how could they mess up a little trim." Atleast your mom is coming, that always makes things better!

Jenni said...

So I had no idea you had this new blog and I was thinking "man, Lindsay's life must be so busy now that she's married that she NEVER blogs!" and then today Katie told me about this blog..hehehe..sorry! And I have total faith in your sewing skills! =) Especially if you want blood stains on your comforter too!