Sunday, July 26, 2009

Moving to Kansas

This is the only picture we have from moving. Somewhere in the middle of Wyoming. I had to stop and get a 50 cent ice cream cone!
Yes, it's true, we made it to Kansas. After visiting my parents for a few days we loaded up the truck and made the two day drive to Wichita. We couldn't have done it without my dad and my little brother. First of all, my dad is a MASTER PACKER. I knew we couldn't fit everything in the truck without his help. He made us pull everything out first so we could inventory what we had to pack. Then a few hours later the truck was ready to roll.

We drove through Wyoming, which is gorgeous, but we decided we didn't want to live there. Then we drove through Colorado, stopped to sleep in Limon, and woke up early the next day. Upon hearing that Kansas was compltely flat, Taylor was beyond excited when we saw rolling hills. I heard numerous times, "Look there are hills!" That day we had a special mission: Atwood, Kansas. About an hour out of our way we went to pick up this guy:


Meet Duke. He is a rare Fox Red Lab. He's kind of a strawberry blonde color. We then proceeded on our journey, not really knowing how it was going to work having a puppy in a hotel.

We got to Wichita and were greeted by 50 mph winds and a great thunder and lighting storm. I was slightly nervous about this grand entrance. Wednesday morning Tay and I woke up at 6am to go apartment hunting and had signed a contract by 10:30am that day. As we drove around we saw these yellow ones that looked kinda worn down, and we just passed them by. The second time around I may Taylor stop and look at them. Although they are not the cutest from the outside, we walked in and fell in love. Huge living room, dining room, kitchen. two bedrooms, two full size bathrooms, and.....the clincher....our own washer and dryer! We signed immediatley and were moved in by the next day.

We have done alot in the week we have been here. Here's a brief recap:
  • Looked around Wichita State a few times. I snuck frozen yogurt into the computer lab!
  • Worked in my classroom. I thought my old school was in the ghetto. Was I ever wrong. Let's just say I heard that the staff was very excited to get air conditioning last year. (WHAT?)
  • Put together our apartment. (Picture tour coming soon!)
  • Went to our new ward. Trying to remember everyone's name.
  • Got a Sam's Club membership (Dang. No Costco)
  • Looked at all the gorgeous homes near where we live.
  • Went bargin hunting at thrift stores.
  • Ate at Jason's Deli (Thanks Leslee and Sean!)
  • Bought a used X-Box. To keep Taylor entertained for the next month before school starts.
  • Worked out at the fitness center at our complex.
  • Enjoyed (kinda) the most intense thunder and lightening storm ever.
  • Getting invited over to dinner by someone in our ward (yeah! we will have friends!)
  • Witnessing a near fire at the pizza place on date night.
  • Figuring out where the RedBox is. (That's a must).
  • Enjoying the ridiculously low gas prices!
So far we have been impressed by Wichita. We are excited to explore our new town, make new friends, start school and work, and just settle into our routine!

2 comments:

Katie and Brandon said...

I've totally had a 50 cent ice cream cone in the middle of Wyoming!

You looked so gorgeous on your wedding day. I was so sad to miss your reception but I'm glad to hear everything went well!

Sitton said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun and getting settled in. I am a little jealous of you having 2 bathrooms...I luxury I have yet to experience! Do you each get your own? hehe