Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Turning Point

I just had to document this momentus occasion. I am actually sitting at my desk, and my kids are working at theirs. I have only had 5 kids come up and try to tell me something, but for the most par they are all working on their math projects. I am beginning to feel like we are turning a corner. They are starting to do so much more on thier own, and don't constantly need me walking around answering questions. They can handle 2 or 3 directions at a time, rather than step by step hand holding. I am getting glimpses of them as second graders...oh how I miss second grade. But, all in all, I don't dread coming to work anymore. This year I had started to worry if I was slowly loosing my fire for teaching, but I think it's just this group of kids that has kinda worn me down this year. With the little deliquent gone we have gotten so much more done. It's horrible to say, but I don't come to work dreading what I will have to face that day. Don't get me wrong, I still have the kid that throws crying fits, gets stiff and rigid and says, "Why does this always happen to me, I still have the huge kid who calls everyone else names, and I still have those kids that I litterally have to say thier name 8 bajillion times a day to keep them on track, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think they will be ready for 2nd grade. It's a small miracle.
(P.S. Sorry abou the lack of pictures with each post, but all the pictures online are blocked by the school district, and we have been internet free at our apartment for over 6 months now, so pictures, are and will be a luxury until we can either a)afford internet b)"borrow" from a neighbor or c) move to a place with free internet! Sorry!)

No comments: