Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The most emotional people I have ever met... and not in a good way.

First graders may be some of the most emotional people I have ever met, and not in a good way. Daily, I have at least a handful in tears. "She touched me" "He laughed at me" "He stepped on my fingers!". It never ends. It doesn't help that I have one that doesn't care about anything I say and will frequently tell me, "I don't care what you say". I have a handful that stomp around, pull their hair over their eyes when they are mad at me and glare at me. I have a few that if I ask them to sit in thier chair the right way, will fall over into a sobbing melting mess on the floor. It's daily walking on eggshells. I'm tired, sick, and need a break. Thankgoodness we only have 4 more days of school before Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Bri {collected} said...

Yikes! Seems like a whole different teaching world out there in Kansas! I hope you have a nice relaxing break!!!

Stacey said...

You are a saint, and maybe a little crazy, for teaching 1st grade. We miss you!

Kelsey Kamauu said...

hmmm...yes it will get better my dear :) I remember thinking the same thing around the holidays...then we started the "tattle jar" - HEAVEN SENT!! the kids had to write down their complaints (who wants to do extra writing right?) - unless is was a life threatening concern...:) We also did the "good deeds jar" and looked for good things other people did - then I drew out of that one and read a few - to notice the good stuff happening in our class :) Hang in there girlie! I hope you had a wonderful break! Love you! - another idea is to hang a pic of the pres (obama) and tell the kids to tell him their troubles... :) hope something helps a little